LOGIN DASHBOARD

    COVID19

    Features

    3 MIN READ

    Govt plans reductions in PCR tests while relegating state funded treatment only for the ‘poor’

    The Record, September 14, 2020, Kathmandu

    Govt plans reductions in PCR tests while relegating state funded treatment only for the ‘poor’

      Share this article

    The government’s latest set of decisions has baffled experts and the public alike

    At a time when Covid-19 cases are on the rise, the Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) has decided to scale down RT PCR tests while only covering medical expenses for the poor.  

    The decision has been forwarded to the Cabinet for approval, according to the ministry’s joint spokesperson Dr Samir Kumar Adhikari. “Tests are not a cure. They should be done economically. What is important in order to contain the virus is to quarantine and isolate the infected. The asymptomatic do not need treatment in hospitals. They can stay at home for 14 days,” Dr Adhikari said, justifying why tests are being scaled down. 

    The decision, however, has baffled experts and the public alike. There is no denying quarantine and isolation are important to contain the virus, but how the government aims to identify both symptomatic and asymptomatic cases while reducing tests remains a mystery.

    “In order to quarantine and isolate effectively, we need to test first. If we don't test, how can we ask someone to isolate without knowing whether the person is infected and how can we ask people who come in contact with that person to remain in quarantine?” said epidemiologist Lhamo Sherpa.

    The government has not defined the criteria for who falls under the category of the poor. MoHP has said that the criteria will be drafted later on, but in Nepal’s history, only the powerful and those close to them have the track record of getting identified by local authorities as ‘poor’, irrespective of their financial status. The genuinely poor seldom get recommendations during emergencies, the latest instance of which was during the earthquake. The poor did not get tarpaulins when their houses collapsed, while the rich with undamaged concrete buildings collected relief materials including tarpaulins. Dr Adhikari said that the criteria as well as other details will be announced after the Cabinet’s approval. 

    The move appears to be an austerity measure. The government has already complained about the soaring expenses for Covid-19 treatments. And earlier, it claimed that it had spent over NRs 100,000 per patient. It even appealed to the public to follow safety protocols strictly to contain the virus to reduce the toll on the nation’s coffers. According to MoHP, a total of 179 Covid-19 patients are being treated in intensive care units and 29 patients are on ventilators. Moreover, 7,275 people are in home isolation and 8,118 in institutional isolation and 6,892 people are under quarantine.

    Some argued the move could be the groundwork to introduce rapid antigen tests, or rapid tests in the country. The National Health Research Centre has already finalised the policy and procedures for the tests. However, it has not started testing as some public health experts raised concerns around the accuracy and reliability of antigen tests.

    Nepal’s southern neighbour, India, has switched to rapid tests to increase testing capacity. Many experts in Nepal have been pitching the same idea since antigen tests are faster and cheaper to conduct at a mass level, even as accuracy remains a concern. 

    On Sunday, the government slashed the cost for PCR tests by almost half, setting the new maximum rate at NRs 2,000. As it looks affordable for the public, the ministry took the decision to scale down PCR tests and limit the treatment to symptomatic cases only.  

    So far, all Covid-19 patients have received free treatment, food and special care. Doctors have been mobilised around the clock to ensure full care of patients. MoHP has decided that asymptomatic patients should stay in isolation at home as there is no need to be admitted to the hospital and take up scarce resources. The Health Emergency Operation Centre under the ministry has already circulated the decision to the authorities under it. 

    Nepal recorded 1,170 Covid-19 cases on Monday, taking the national tally to 55,329. This number is almost 11 percent of the total 10,878 tests conducted on the day, indicating a high prevalence of infections. Of these, 512 new cases were confirmed in the Kathmandu Valley — with 440 in Kathmandu, 29 in Lalitpur, and 43 in Bhaktapur districts.  

    With 15 deaths recorded in the past 24 hours, Nepal’s death toll has reached 360. Of these, eight deaths occurred in the Valley. 

    With festivals around the corner, the government is also mulling over the reopening of markets. This is another difficult call for the government as the public is already fed up with the nationwide four-month-long lockdown followed by almost month-long prohibitory orders.



    author bio photo

    The Record  We are an independent digital publication based in Kathmandu, Nepal. Our stories examine politics, the economy, society, and culture. We look into events both current and past, offering depth, analysis, and perspective. Explore our features, explainers, long reads, multimedia stories, and podcasts. There’s something here for everyone.



    Comments

    Get the best of

    the Record

    Previous Next

    YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

    COVID19

    News

    4 min read

    As daily Covid-19 death count hits a record high, govt scrambles to respond

    The Record - August 21, 2020

    By not focusing on contact tracing and other measures, the government is missing the whole point of clamping lockdowns

    The Wire

    19 min read

    Why Kathmandu’s land prices continue to skyrocket

    Rudra Pangeni - June 18, 2020

    Nepal’s moneyed classes, aided by unscrupulous banks and an irresponsible government, have turned land into a quickly tradeable commodity

    COVID19

    News

    3 min read

    Kathmandu Valley extends prohibitory orders until September 9

    The Record - September 2, 2020

    The decision was made by authorities since the coronavirus has continued to rise at a steady pace for the past week

    Features

    6 min read

    Oli sacrifices the constitution to save his skin

    The Record - December 20, 2020

    The PM creates chaos, and invites ridicule for dissolving parliament at a time when he should be focusing on the Covid-19 crisis

    Features

    5 min read

    What’s next for Prime Minister Oli?

    Bhadra Sharma - February 24, 2021

    With his House dissolution ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, Oli is scrambling to find ways to secure his position.

    COVID19

    News

    5 min read

    Covid19 Roundup, 29 April: Ruling party’s dirty politics overshadows crisis

    The Record - April 29, 2020

    A daily summary of Covid19 related developments that matter

    COVID19

    Features

    3 min read

    A man returning home on foot dies in desperation instead

    The Record - April 17, 2020

    Nepal’s first Covid19 death was not caused by the coronavirus

    Features

    4 min read

    New mandate could help provide some succour to nurses being exploited by private hospitals

    The Record - October 14, 2020

    Hospitals that don’t abide by the MoHP’s directive won’t be able to continue operating

    • About
    • Contributors
    • Jobs
    • Contact

    CONNECT WITH US

    © Copyright the Record | All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy