LOGIN DASHBOARD

    News

    3 MIN READ

    Crackdown on peaceful protesters as the government abuses power

    The Record, June 9, 2020, Kathmandu

    Crackdown on peaceful protesters as the government abuses power

      Share this article

    Police respond to protests with water cannons and arrests

    (The Record)

    On Tuesday, in a naked display of abuse of power by the Oli government, police cracked down on scores of peaceful demonstrators who had taken to the streets of the Capital to protest against the government's mishandling of the Covid-19 pandemic.  Around 200 protesters, mainly youths from diverse backgrounds, were demanding more tests, better care, and more transparency around the government’s Covid-19 response when police showered them with lathis and hosed them with water cannons. Ten people were arrested in the crackdown, and several were injured.

    “The protesters had neither stepped an inch toward the restricted area nor engaged in any kind of verbal or physical violence when the police suddenly asked us to stop the protest at 11.30,” read a statement released by the representatives of the protesting youths. “When we politely denied, the police brought forth the water cannon vehicle to disperse the crowd and mercilessly baton charged the protesters.” The representatives have also demanded the unconditional release of those arrested, without charges. 

    SSP Shyam Lal Gyawali of the Metropolitan Police Range said that the police had to use force because the protesters were defying the lockdown and increasing the health risk to society. 

    “They weren't arrested for protesting, but for defying the lockdown. There is no restriction on protests, but everyone must understand that the lockdown is meant to stop the spread of Covid-19 ,” Gayawali told The Record. He said that the protesters would be released after due process. 

    The majority of protesters were youths protesting the government’s mishandling of the Covid-19 crisis. Their main demands include an immediate stop to the RDT tests, increase of PCR testing, increased medical capacity, increase in ventilators, more consideration for frontline-worker safety, safe passage and management of returnee migrant workers, better quarantine mechanisms and facilities, and transparency on how the government is dealing with the crisis. At the protest site, in Baluwatar, were also some businessmen who were demanding an end to the lockdown, while a few others were demanding the scrapping of the proposed Millennium Challenge Challenge Corporation compact (MCC) with the United States. The MCC is a multi-million dollar grant scheme through which the United States is to invest USD 500 million in infrastructure projects. A section of Nepali leaders from across the political spectrum have opposed it, describing it as a component of the US’s Indo Pacific Strategy, which provides strategic counterbalance to China’s increasing geopolitical power and ambitions.

    Photo: Dishebh Raj Shrestha

    Tuesday’s protest, though relatively small, is being seen as yet another wakeup call for Prime Minister Oli, who has failed miserably in guiding the country through the pandemic and one of the biggest crises in the country’s history. Just this week, several cities in the Terai have seen citizens starting to defy government orders, and in Kathmandu, too, shopkeepers have begun to roll up their shutters.

    Oli has neither been able to increase the number of tests being conducted nor ensure basic decent accomodation in the community quarantines. It has also failed to respond to the pleas of migrants stranded in various work destinations. Nepal has confirmed around 4,085 cases of Covid-19, while 15 deaths have been attributed to the virus. As of Tuesday evening, 10,6331 Nepalis had been tested.

    :::::::


     



    author bio photo

    The Record  We are an independent digital publication based in Kathmandu, Nepal. Our stories examine politics, the economy, society, and culture. We look into events both current and past, offering depth, analysis, and perspective. Explore our features, explainers, long reads, multimedia stories, and podcasts. There’s something here for everyone.



    Comments

    Get the best of

    the Record

    Previous Next

    YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

    Perspectives

    5 min read

    An appeal for a better equipped emergency workforce

    Ramu Kharel - April 25, 2021

    As we remember the 2015 earthquakes, and fight against resurging Covid-19 cases, we mourn the lives that could have been saved if basic emergency care was available.

    Explainers

    4 min read

    Workers left in the lurch

    Roshan Sedhai - August 20, 2020

    The govt has callously suspended its campaign to repatriate stranded migrant workers

    COVID19

    News

    3 min read

    Covid19 Roundup, 16 April: Police brutality on the rise, an exodus of the hungry & increased border security

    The Record - April 16, 2020

    A daily summary of Covid19 related developments that matter

    Explainers

    The Wire

    4 min read

    Dr KC goes on hunger strike

    The Record - September 14, 2020

    With his latest fast, Dr KC is seeking to bring the government to book for both its recent and past transgressions

    COVID19

    News

    3 min read

    Covid19 Roundup, 19 May: Kathmandu Valley seals border and paid testing to be made available

    The Record - May 19, 2020

    A daily summary of Covid19-related developments that matter

    Features

    COVID19

    5 min read

    Swindled sugarcane farmers stage protests in the Capital amidst Covid crisis

    The Record - December 13, 2020

    After suffering injustice for years, the farmers have finally descended on Kathmandu to press their demands

    Perspectives

    6 min read

    Nijgadh: prospects and priorities

    Sanjiv Gautam - February 13, 2020

    Our urgent need for a second international airport must be balanced with legitimate environment concerns

    Features

    8 min read

    They marched against the patriarchy. Then they received rape and death threats.

    Tsering D. Gurung - February 25, 2021

    The attacks on poet Sapana Sanjeevani and leaders of the Women’s March are just one part of a pandemic of online violence against women.

    • About
    • Contributors
    • Jobs
    • Contact

    CONNECT WITH US

    © Copyright the Record | All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy