LOGIN DASHBOARD

    Explainers

    2 MIN READ

    Why victims of Nepal's civil war may not get justice

    Moin Uddin, September 26, 2017, Kathmandu

    Why victims of Nepal's civil war may not get justice

      Share this article

    
            War victim Pabitra Sunakhari shows a photograph of her son who disapeared during the civil war in Nepal. Photo: Prakash Mathema / AFP
    War victim Pabitra Sunakhari shows a photograph of her son who disapeared during the civil war in Nepal. Photo: Prakash Mathema / AFP (Prakash Mathema / AFP)

    Over a decade after the Comprehensive Peace Agreement of 2006, between the then Maoist rebels and Nepal government, justice to the victims of human-rights excesses committed during the the civil war remains as elusive as ever. Two constitutional bodies that are supposed to address those abuses—Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC), and Commission of Investigation on Enforced Disappeared Persons (CIEDP)—were formed only two years ago. And as their operations appear hamstrung, victims and their families are pessimistic about the resolution of their complaints.

    So why do these constitutional bodies look paralyzed more than two years after their formation?

    The commissions had a rocky start. Regulations required for these bodies to function came into effect only 13 months after their formation in February 2015. Even then, their pace of work has been sluggish. Since the vast majority of the registered cases had not even seen initial rounds of investigation, in February 2017, the tenure of both commissions was extended by a year.

    Madhavi Bhatta, a member of TRC, says constraints of human resources and money have been the major factor. The body was assigned a total of 100 staff positions, a third of which had not been filled till last year. Since then, it has formed three-member investigation panels—along with seven staffers—for each of the province.  By February 2018, these teams will have to investigate a total of 60,000 cases between them, a task which Bhatta says is near impossible. “If the government does not extend the tenure, we will pack up and give a report on what we’ve done so far,” she said.

    Lokendra Mallick, chairperson of CIEDP, which was formed to investigate the cases of disappearances during the conflict years, also says it’s impossible for the commission to finish its works by the February deadline. The commission has received over 3,093 complaints from the families of the disappeared. (According to the International Committee of the Red Cross, 1335 people were disappeared during the war.) Of those, 157 are being sent for detailed investigations among designated eight teams.

    CIEDP too suffers from a serious lack of officials. According to its spokesperson Bishnu Pathak, CIEDP currently has 42 staffs—including several computer operators and a dozen vehicle drivers—from the 90 positions the government has created. Remaining seats still need to be filled, which is the government’s responsibility. Unable to properly function at a reasonable pace, Pathak said, “We’ve had to take blame from the victims’ families, journalists, civil society, and international community for not doing anything.” He added, “It seems pointless to me to add more tenure if the government is going to keep us under-resourced.”



    author bio photo

    Moin Uddin  No bio.



    Comments

    Get the best of

    the Record

    Previous Next

    YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

    Photo Essays

    4 min read

    The whole family

    Bikkil Sthapit - August 30, 2020

    The coronavirus pandemic brought a faint hope for some that their family members who disappeared during the People’s War might finally return

    COVID19

    News

    3 min read

    Covid19 Roundup, 20 May: Infections rise to 427 but reports of death untrue

    The Record - May 20, 2020

    A daily summary of Covid19-related developments that matter

    Features

    6 min read

    The deadly combination of rains, roads, and landslides

    Bhadra Sharma - August 19, 2020

    Nepal has had a record number of landslide-related deaths this year

    COVID19

    Features

    9 min read

    Print is back but many journalists are not

    Ishita Shahi - February 21, 2021

    The effects of the pandemic -- salaries slashed and jobs lost -- have yet to wear off on Nepal’s journalists.

    Perspectives

    22 min read

    The reality of transgender rights in Nepal

    Queer Youth Group And Queer Rights Collective - September 25, 2020

    There is still a need for an extensive overhaul of the law and the language of the law in order to address the inequalities faced by the trans and broader PoMSOGIESC community in Nepal

    Features

    5 min read

    Trouble at the top

    Bhadra Sharma - July 24, 2020

    Ranjan Koirala’s release from custody represents just the latest failure in a series of cases bungled by Nepal’s supreme court

    Interviews

    3 min read

    ‘We are well prepared, for at least a month’

    The Record - March 21, 2020

    Interview with Dr. Sagar Kumar Rajbhandari, director, Teku Hospital (Sukraraj Tropical & Infectious Disease Hospital).

    COVID19

    Features

    4 min read

    Are Covid19 patients getting the care they deserve?

    The Record - May 23, 2020

    Nepal’s first three Covid19 deaths could have been avoided with timely ambulance services and adequate medical care

    • About
    • Contributors
    • Jobs
    • Contact

    CONNECT WITH US

    © Copyright the Record | All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy