LOGIN DASHBOARD

    News

    2 MIN READ

    Landslides continue to batter Sindhupalchok

    The Record, September 13, 2020, Kathmandu

    Landslides continue to batter Sindhupalchok

      Share this article

    Villages routinely get swept away in Nepal’s most landslide-prone district because locals, fed up with government apathy, are building settlements in risky locations

    (The Record)

    The locals of Bhirkharka and Nagpuje, in Baharabise Municipality, had never imagined that landslides would ravage their settlements as the area was considered much safer than the dozens of riskier settlements in Sindhupalchok District. They were also sure they were on safe ground because local authorities had not categorized their settlements as landslide-prone areas.

    Thus landslides probably never crossed their mind as the villagers turned in for the night on Saturday evening. But some of those villagers never woke up the next morning, and some are still buried under debris. And most of their neighbours woke up in the early hours of Sunday morning to loud crashing noises generated by the series of landslides that wiped out most homes in the villages.

    “Everything had been washed away when we woke up,” said Bir Bahadur Thapa, a local leader.

    The landslides, which resulted from the heavy downpour created by a cloudburst, first swept away the villagers’ rice fields before sweeping away large parts of Nagpuje and Bhirkharka villages, said Anil Pokhrel, Executive Chief of National Disaster Risk Reduction & Management Authority.

    According to locals, the landslides occurred around 4 am. Those who remain buried were in deep sleep when their houses were swept away. “The situation there is really terrible. And it’s difficult to retrieve dead bodies because they are buried under piles of debris,” said Pokhrel.

    From early in the morning on Sunday, rescuers from security agencies and locals have been conducting rescue and relief operations. By the evening, they had retrieved the bodies of 11 locals, but at least 20 people still remain buried under the rubble.

    Apart from the loss of lives and property, 38 people from the landslide-hit villages and 250 households from neighbouring villages are now at risk of further landslides. “Providing immediate relief to the landslide-affected villagers and the locals of neighbouring villages now remains a major challenge,” said Pokhrel. 

    According to geologists, Sindhupalchok has turned into one of Nepal’s most landslide-prone areas of late, especially in the period after 2015’s devastating earthquakes. Although landslide prevalence was high in the district even before the earthquakes, more and more devastating landslides have been occurring recently there now. 

    About a month ago, three dozen people were buried alive in the village of Lidi. A total of 17 instances of major landslides have occurred in the district this year, according to the National Emergency Operation Center.

    In the aftermath of 2015’s earthquakes, seismic experts had recommended that many settlements in Sindhupalchok be relocated. But frustrated by bureaucratic red tape and lack of concrete relocation and livelihood plans, locals started to rebuild houses even in risky areas where the land had been destabilized by the quakes. 

    Today, because most quake-damaged houses in Sindhupalchok have been rebuilt, politicians representing the district have started to lobby for the creation of integrated settlements. “We need a comprehensive study about earthquake prevalence and plans for building safer buildings,” said Agni Prasad Sapkota, who reached the landslide-hit areas after the latest disaster. Sindupalchok is Sapkota’s constituency. “I will raise this issue with the prime minister as soon as I reach Kathmandu.”

    ::::::::



    author bio photo

    The Record  We are an independent digital publication based in Kathmandu, Nepal. Our stories examine politics, the economy, society, and culture. We look into events both current and past, offering depth, analysis, and perspective. Explore our features, explainers, long reads, multimedia stories, and podcasts. There’s something here for everyone.



    Comments

    Get the best of

    the Record

    Previous Next

    YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

    News

    4 min read

    Tribhuvan University continues in-person exams despite widespread outcry

    Shristi Sherchan - August 9, 2021

    Students at the university have been protesting the varsity’s decision to hold in-person exams at a time when Covid-19 cases are increasing by the day

    Features

    10 min read

    In Mahottari, reclaiming riverbeds for farmland

    Marissa Taylor - September 28, 2021

    Turning fertile riverbeds into leasehold farms have helped farmers increase incomes but it doesn’t safeguard them from the hazards of climate change.

    COVID19

    News

    2 min read

    Another record rise in Covid cases, with almost half of them in Kathmandu Valley

    The Record - September 11, 2020

    At the current rate, confirmed Covid cases will almost double when the prohibitory order expires next week

    Features

    3 min read

    New law cranks up penal measures against acid attackers

    The Record - September 29, 2020

    New ordinances signed by the President aimed at reducing acid attacks which have been on the rise in Nepal in recent years

    COVID19

    News

    3 min read

    Covid19 Roundup, 27 April: Govt criticised over Covid response while EU offers multi-million euro aid

    The Record - April 27, 2020

    A daily summary of Covid19 related developments that matter

    COVID19

    Features

    5 min read

    Vaccinations to resume Wednesday with Chinese-made vaccines

    Ishita Shahi - April 6, 2021

    While all vaccinations so far have been the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, Nepal will now be rolling out the vaccines from Sinopharm

    Features

    News

    5 min read

    Killing in the name of caste

    The Record - May 26, 2020

    The killing of a Dalit and his friends in Rukum reveals Nepal’s dark underbelly

    Features

    13 min read

    Further crippling the yarsagumba economy could worsen hunger in Nepal’s mountain regions

    David Ellis Johnson - June 14, 2020

    The ban on this year’s harvest due to Covid-19 threatens livelihoods and risks furthering the nation’s food insecurity

    • About
    • Contributors
    • Jobs
    • Contact

    CONNECT WITH US

    © Copyright the Record | All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy